Monday, February 4, 2013

Thomas Keller's Homemade Pasta

I didn't actually use that many eggs..because I didn't HAVE that many eggs, but I cut out a little flour and added back some of the egg whites for the additional needed moisture. 
My little dough ball :)
This was the first time I had used my pasta maker - I was kind of concerned that it would be a pain to operate.
It was actually really straightforward and fun!
I divided the dough ball into four smaller pieces and then ran those chunks through the press at increasingly finer thicknesses until I got the sheets where I wanted them. Then, you run the flattened sheets through the cutter blades - this machine had a fine angel hair/spaghetti setting, and a thicker linguine/fettucine-like setting.
So. Cool. :)
I put these balls in the fridge to dry out a bit, but I could have easily boiled them at this point. Fresh noodles are done WAY quicker than dried or store-bought pastas, and the texture and flavor are so much different it's almost like a totally different food.
I wasn't even drinking when I came up with this! :)
Pizza peel slid into the crack between the cabinet door and face and used to hang and dry pasta! This is the pasta I didn't boil right away - I'll be able to package this up and use it later. Way good!

No comments:

Post a Comment