Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Driveway, driveway, gettin' down on driveway

Silky smooth..
As you can see, my cement guy wasted no time in getting everything poured and smoothed out!
Per our conversations, he poured the cement so water would slope away from the garage door and stoop area. With the old concrete, some settling had taken place over the years and I noticed that water would pool up at the foot of the step on the days we had lots of rain. No more! Not only that, but – like I said in the previous post – we don’t have to walk around the mounds of gravel anymore. I’m so excited about this, it’s ridiculous.
Another new development: I’m installing windows?
When my siding guy came to check everything out, we talked about the best way to do everything. In that conversation he pointed out that the finished product would look better if the sheathing were smooth, or at least more consistent across the span of the wall from one addition to the next. While we had planned on that, he also pointed out that, I needed “new F$%#ing windows.”
He’s a pretty eloquent guy, but he’s also great at what he does J
I told him flat out that even though I would like to have new windows, it’s absolutely not in the budget and I will not do it right now. The windows I have are fine, my utility bills aren’t outrageous by any measure, and I can’t justify the costs for something that truly isn’t that wrong. Even as I said it, I knew getting the new windows now would be the right thing to do…it’s cheaper to get them now while we can easily change the size (considering I have a couple that are non-standard sizes)..it’s easier while the walls are open and the mess already exists..blah, blah, blah.   No, Siding Man, I will not buy new windows.

Enter, my Roommates.
Dad: “What if Mom and I bought you some new windows as a housewarming present?”
Me: “Pleasure doing business with you.”
Lesson for the day: Don’t ever walk away from a deal like that. Ever. J  

So, last night we set about taking the windows in the kitchen and the dining room out. This proved to take longer than anticipated because we didn’t have one of the tools we needed to work as quickly as we wanted. That said, we removed all four windows and built the new framing for the new kitchen windows.
It’s going to rock pretty hardcore.
Leaving my mark :)

No comments:

Post a Comment