Tuesday, October 4, 2011

And, I'm back in the game!

Yesterday was a good day! And before noon, which never happens! J
Early in the day, I left work for a bit to meet with the City building inspector. He had to OK the new wiring in the back of the house, and it turns out we passed! Now, we can contact the power company to have them remove the temporary post on the back of the garage, hook up the permanent meter socket, and shine some lights on the house. Now that I’ll be able to stay past 7:00 when the sun starts going down I have no excuse not to be productive!
I can’t tell you, effectively, how big a step this was. Waiting for our original electrical contractor held us up for weeks. Finding another one after the original flaked took a few days, and getting everything ready for the inspection took time as well. Now that we’re over this hump, we can insulate the back half of the house (which we started last night), hang drywall, start ripping up carpet, and more! This is also really exciting because we know everything should go really fast from here. I know, you’re thinking, “Yeah, you’ve said that before,” but I’m serious now! From here forward, we won’t need to wait on contractors, inspections, or anyone but ourselves. The main objective will be making sure everything is at the house and ready when it’s needed.
In other news, I’m getting a driveway today! We had to break up a piece of the original to pour the footings and slab for the new garage. Once that was completed and we were certain we weren’t going to bury anything under the driveway, I called my cement guy and gave him the green light. Really excited to see what this looks like – we’ve been walking around gravel so long, it will be so amazing to have a nice, new, FLAT surface to walk on.

Oooh..excited! J

1 comment:

  1. It's hard to explain how great you feel after installing new concrete! We had our sidewalk redone a few years back, and it still makes me smile to look at how perfect it is now. Not to mention how much easier it is to shovel snow than it was on the old cracked, uneven walkway!

    ReplyDelete