Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Just when you think you're past it..

..you get to rip out more plaster.
When my (original) drywall contractor came to give an estimate, he recommended tearing out some of the plaster around the window in the living room. As I’ve mentioned, I wasn’t wild about tearing anything out there because I didn’t want it to mess with the window or the trim work around it.
He explained that he can patch the plaster that’s there…but it was essentially rotten and would flake off in a short time anyway. The best thing for me to do would be to determine what plaster was loose (tap the wall…does it wiggle? Yes. Grab a hammer.) and remove it. Dad/roommate and I tried to be selective at first, but it became pretty apparent that once we started, it was really better to keep going. Hopefully now I won’t have *major* issues with cracking or chipping now.
Ugh..dust. We actually ended up ripping out more than this...just for kicks.

When I say “original” drywall contractor, that’s a little misleading. My original bid was a local guy, has a great reputation for doing great work..$2,700..little expensive. Enter: guy from Des Moines. “Oh, yeah, sure..I can do it for $2,000..and start Friday!” Long story short: too good to be true. He inexplicably called my mom the Monday after he should have been there and indicated that he was “just swamped, and wouldn’t be able to do it.”
Mom’s stock rose in my book that day: she hung up on him.
So, in addition to prepping for finished drywall, we’ve been prepping for finished hardwood! I went to a local home store and rented a walk-behind floor sander. I had heard horror stories about the old belt sander models that you had to run behind to keep from gauging the floor, and even then you’ll probably start a fire. The model I got has three sandpaper discs stuck to the underside of – what looks like – something you might use to buff a gym floor with. And it has a nice little vacuum attached so there isn’t dust billowing out like the old models.
So I rented my machine, bought some sandpaper, put on my glasses and mask and got to work. I found out really quickly that I didn’t need the glasses or mask – there was virtually no dust. I also found out really quickly that I was done sanding. Not in the “I-finished-sanding” way, but in the “this-sandpaper-is-so-full-of-crap-it-can’t-function-anymore” sort of way. So, I peeled the pads off and stuck new ones on. Same story. I’d sand for about two feet with no problem – down to the bare wood! And then, kabluey..no sand for you. We tried a couple different techniques before deciding that, at $3 per disc x 3 discs per 2 square feet of floor, this was going to be the most expensive project ever undertaken by man.
Entry floor in various stages of stainlessness.
We asked my neighbors who had, incidentally, just recently redone their floors. It turns out they ran into the same problem. They suggested cleaning the floors thoroughly with Mineral Spirits before we went any further. And that’s as far as we’ve gotten..Drywall guy – the saint that he is for coming back after I snubbed him for the jack wagon from Des Moines – has first dibs on the space.
In other progress news: the siding is done!*
*for the year.
We actually ran out of siding for the very top part of the back of the garage. Our logic is: it’s covered in Tyvek, it’s not living space, and it will be fine. I don’t consider running 20 pieces short of siding to be such a bad guess. After all, I did the math on a scrap of paper using measurements I was only half sure about (if not making up entirely).
The house itself is completely wrapped in siding, though. Some new, some old, but the rest will come – along with new windows – next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment