Monday, January 14, 2013

Problem: Solved!

I can’t say enough how fortunate I’ve been to live in a smaller town throughout this process. This was reaffirmed yet again during Clog-pacolypse.
It turns out I had a pretty major clog in the drain line below the kitchen sink. The kitchen is, of course, one of the rooms built over the crawl space. Luckily for me, a local plumbing contractor was able to come over (within about five minutes of me calling, mind you) and assess the situation. They found a point in the line where the cast iron ‘main drain’ transitioned down to galvanized pipe and then down again to PVC. All the transitions in such a short span and some abandoned drain segments gave food particles and other junk a place to pile up, hence, a clog.
Not only was I impressed that they could wiggle back into the crawl space, but I was further impressed when they had dug out a portion of the pipe, cut out a section, and replaced it with a nice new section of PVC that streamlined the whole drainage situation. Replacing this area fixed my clog problem and – hopefully – fixed any future issues I may have. And it wasn’t crazy-expensive – triple bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment