Monday, April 22, 2013

Mantel Project

The mantel before: not bad, but room for improvement if I wanted it to fit with everything else I had going on in the house. As big as the fireplace is, I thought the mantel needed to be a little bulkier.
Plus, I still had a good bit of salvaged wood left in the garage :)
The profile of the original mantel.  
Removed the little strip of molding..
Planed, glued, clamped, sanded.. the boards I had in the garage. Square nails, knots, and all!
Wrapped a wider band around the existing mantel..
Top in position..
The final profile! The square nails are still showing through on some of these end pieces. 
I actually made that cove molding underneath on the table saw..
..couldn't find a router bit big enough to make it look the way I wanted it.
Improvising.
All done!
I might stain/oil it, or I might leave it raw like this. I'll decide later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment