Thursday, May 10, 2012

Next door...

As you can see, it’s been a busy day for updates! Strike while the iron’s hot, I suppose..
As I’ve written about from time to time throughout this blog, the house next door is slated for demolition. Well, I think we’ve finally arrived at demolition time.
Over the course of the last week, there has been a small crew in and out of the house removing furniture and other items left behind as well as really combing through the building – they’ve removed the old appliances and mechanical systems as well as a pretty good sized pile of copper pipe for scrapping. Last I spoke with them, they had hoped to get started sometime around…today, but they did have a few other contracts to satisfy.
This is kind of bittersweet for me as it is for many in the neighborhood and around town. Everyone I talk to seems to share the same sentiment – they wish it could be saved, they love the architecture and the history of the house, but it has just sat empty and exposed for too long. It’s really gone downhill in the last few years, and, sadly, it’s just time for it to go.
Before my walk to work this morning, I made one last loop around the house with my phone to record what it is before it’s taken down. I also found an old picture of the house from its glory days – hope you enjoy.
Rear of the house - from the alley.
NW corner - from my driveway.

SW corner - from my driveway.

SE corner - same perspective as the old picture below.

NE corner - behind the garage.

SE corner - found in a book about Knoxville history, no less!

No comments:

Post a Comment