Monday, June 18, 2012

This weekend

This weekend saw lots of changes around the house – most noticeably, paint!
As I mentioned in my previous post, my friend Anna came down for a couple days last week to start the painting project. She was excited for it and I was not..so it was a good match.
I have no idea why, but for the last several months I've just felt like part of the dining room needed to be blue.
The other two walls are the tan color from the living room and kitchen.
Moody blue..
Well, once she started, I got the fever and have been picking at it ever since. I stopped to attend the Iowa Craft Beer Festival Saturday afternoon in Des Moines (work-related…I promise) and to putter around in the yard a bit on Sunday.
My painter: I know how to pay my debts..
Painting around the kitchen.
My bedroom door. Even with this lighter color, the trim paint really pops!
Living room: painted, sans TV.
The other big change is that I’m flying solo again. No more roommate, no more cat..no more rent money. It’s really for the best – this was always meant to be a temporary thing, and it was. Roommate found a place of her own, and I get my house back. Free of cat hair and other people’s laundry. J
The other (random) project I created for myself was sort of…just more work? I moved the large pile of foundation stone out of the side yard and into the driveway. This way, I’ll be able to see what I’ve got when I’m using it to edge around the landscaping. I’ll also be able to kill off the weeds in that area and start fresh with new grass once I’ve got everything the way I want it. It will also be nice to have that out of the way when we start up the siding project in the front of the house.
I still have that little bit of siding to replace on this side..and, of course, the lawn is overgrown and weedy here now, so it will be easier to deal with all of that with these stones moved. Did I mention these stones before? They came from the foundation of the house next door. $30!!
You have no idea what this did for my OCD. Soo goood.
Speaking of which, I’m getting ready to refinance my construction note so that I can actually AFFORD to start the siding project in the front of the house. When I bought the house, my banker and I decided that it would actually be better for me to go the way of the construction note – this way, I didn’t have to put money down (my sweat equity and the improvements made counted as a down payment) and it afforded me a lot more flexibility. I pay a higher interest rate for it, and it expired after a year (had to get a small extension to finish up the kitchen), but now I’ll be able to refinance (at 2.86%, thankyouverymuch), get a little more money for this last big push, and then – one day – just come home and ENJOY being here rather than feel like I have to work at it all the time! J
If you've never had fresh broccoli...
OOH, I’ve also got broccoli popping in the garden! Several green tomatoes on the vine, lots of carrots, a few herbs..peppers..a cucumber..Brussels sprouts, and a lot of weeds. Pretty exciting stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment