Monday, September 10, 2012

Dueling pies

Last night was pie night at the homestead. I’ve been eating out a lot lately because there’s not food in the house because I haven’t been there to MAKE anything. More to come on that in the next post.
Last night, I decided to do something about my lack of sustenance. I had some homemade pizza sausage in the freezer along with a leftover dough ball that would be just enough for a single serving pizza. I laid both out on the counter yesterday afternoon to thaw so they’d be ready to go by the time I was. Along with a little sauce and some mozzarella cheese (also both kind of leftover from a previous pizza..stashed in the freezer), I had myself a nice little pie in no time at all.
The last couple times I’ve made a pizza, I’ve been baking them according to something I read in an old cookbook: apparently the “pizza-maker’s secret” is to bake your pizza with the meat uncooked. I was skeptical at first because I’d never done that, nor had anyone in my family..and we’re pizza makers. So, I figured I’d chunk off fairly small pieces to insure they baked through in the short time they’d be in the oven. I have to say, both times I’ve done it I have really enjoyed it. It gives the pizza just the right amount of grease and the meat is so tender and moist that I don’t think I’ll be going back!
I have to say, it was not my intention to make it this dark. That said, it's got great flavor and looks like it came from a gourmet pizzeria in New York City..one of those with a big 700F brick oven :)
Also last night, I peeled, chopped, and seasoned a small bucket of apples from mom and dad’s neighbors’ apple tree. They have more than they know what to do with, so everyone around has apple buckets sitting around waiting to be used!
Apple has always been my favorite pie, but it’s hard to make a good one..at least I think it is. Whenever I make one, I make sure to use something sort of acidic in the apples to give it a little extra flavor. Fresh lemon or orange juice, or even vinegar works really well and it gives the pie a little extra something..another flavor sensation on another part of your tongue. Really good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment